Sunday 12 August 2012

Incredible!

I have to brag here a little, last night (Saturday night) I had the most incredible experience.  So amazing! I’ll start from the beginning.  Carmen, Karen and I decided that after our daily trip to the store (so exciting) that we would try and find a swimming spot in the river bank that runs along the community and essentially across the street from our houses and the school.  We eventually found one behind the baseball diamond and dipped our toes in the cold water.  It was great :)  We knew that there was another new young teacher in the community and had met her briefly the day before so we decided to seek her out and have her over!  After some sleuthing and wandering around the community literally shouting her name, we found where Danielle lived (an AMAZING house complete with wood burning stove) and brought her out with us. Then, we sought out another teacher who lived close and invited him over for a game of cards later that evening. 

So Carmen, Karen, Danielle and I were playing Apples to Apples (HILARIOUS) when the other teacher and his friend showed up, making the game even more hilarious.  It turns out that last night there was a meteor shower and since we are in the perfect area for viewing such an event, we took advantage of the quiet wilderness and took a short (but scary in flip flops) hike up a rocky hill to a flat rock plateau where we lay down and gazed at the stars.  It was incredible.  It turns out that we are so far North that we could also see the beginnings of the Northern Lights! OMG.  All I have to say. I can’t wait for winter to arrive so I can see them in all their splendiferousness.  It was a pretty magical night finished off with a round of Pogos and great company.
Side note: If anyone can tell me where I can order Cards Against Humanity I would be grateful! Amazon? I think a game like that would be perfect up here, laughter is the best way to pass the time and I’ve got some great people to laugh with.

Tomorrow is a very exciting day as I get the keys to my new classroom and can begin setting up and unpacking my resources!  I have a entire FULL bathroom in my classroom (complete with a tub!!) which I am thinking of turning into a library/quiet reading room/quiet study room as my classroom is a little on the small side.  I have a Smartboard as well as 2 computers and tons of supplies.  I am SO excited to start setting up, getting my literacy centers organized and seeing what I can plan for the next couple of weeks. 
It turns out that we are being trained to use a new kind of curriculum document or something, kind of what like Ontario has with the TLCPs and math alignment so we have basically been advised not to get too heavy into planning for the first couple of weeks since the week after school starts we are all flying or driving to Val D’Or to receive this training and will emerge with new planning maps and some plans to get us started which is FANTASTIC. 
Anyways wish me luck tomorrow!! No internet still so pictures will come ASAP!

1 comment:

  1. CAH: http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/ $25 on Shopify, that's the only place to get it and they're often sold out. You might have to sign up for a pre-order. Your other option is printing off the free PDF cards onto cardstock. Great posts! Sounds like you're fittng right in and having a blast - I hope I make as many friends at my school as easily has you have!

    ReplyDelete