Saturday 1 September 2012

Cheesy goodness!

Today was awesome! A large group of us planned a road trip to Radisson, a small town about 200km north of Wemindji off the James Bay Highway.

Karen and I took my car and we left quite early in the morning and luckily the 96km gravel access road leading to the highway was damp so there wasn't much dust and the roads were quiet! The drive was beautiful and really peaceful! I almost hit a squirrel which was actually kind of hilarious and involved at least 45 seconds of screaming on both our parts.

We got to Radisson and immediately hit up the SAQ (LCBO for you non-French folks) and it was glorious. Then we ate brunch which I ordered in near parfait Français (shout out to the patient and good natured waitress, I swear I wasn't mocking you).

Eggs Benedict (oeuffs bénédictine ahem) topped off a lovely morning followed by a trip to the local craft store with tons of incredible and beautiful authentic native items. I found some really gorgeous jewelry and put I an order for some nice moccasins.

Oh I must also mention that at the SAQ there was a grocery store too and they had BRIE. And CAMEMBERT. And CREAM CHEESE. And FETA. And JARLSBERG. Sooo I bought it all obviously since we are still experiencing a food apocalypse here. That and I am pretty sure I will never see those cheeses up here in Wemindji.

Soo after spending tons of my first paycheque (that's right, it's official I am a PAID teacher now!) Karen and I started back, stopping to build a super cool Inukshuk! (little stone guy you always see on the side of tall rocks on the sides of roads in the wilderness). It was actually one of the most dangerous things we have ever done a) because Karen wore flip flops on a sandy rocky hillside; and b) because Karen picked up a rock uncovering an entire colony of killer ants that quickly developed a taste for Karen's blood. Overall it was worth it and the effect was achieved. Although I think our Inukshuk has too many heads but whatever. I also scored a huge chunk of quartz (size of a side plate!) which I am adding to my rock collection (yes I collect rocks now...rocks outnumber people here 47642257632367 billion to one.)

Other than having lovely adventures
school has been going pretty well! I am still working INCREDIBLY hard at finding the right appropriate classroom behavior incentives and methods to maintain peace in the classroom but overall I am having a blast. My kids are honestly so sweet and tell me they love me every day. I enjoy hearing their stories and we love "filling our buckets" daily with kind words about one another. It's great to have such a sincere bunch of kids, I feel really good about this year. They are still rambunctious and chatty but we made some good headway in following classroom rules this week.

Sadly, I fear that some of that headway may get lost when I attend GVC training in Montreal from the 10th to the 14th and since we have school only on Wednesday and Friday next week due to PED days and the Quebec election so I am hoping that classroom routines won't be completely disregarded while I'm away. I'm leaving deeeeeetailed plans behind and I am also counting on my students to make the right choice when it comes to how they behave and treat the classroom.

I should also mention that I RODE ON AN ATV AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE. Sorry but caps are the only way I can truly express my immeasurable joy gained from this experience. I need to buy one stat. I know I'm in debt but I can justify this purchase. Somehow. Anyways I had to refrain from WOO HOOing the entire time so I didn't damage the eardrums of the lovey Lori who graciously took me for my first ride. Soooo cool!

Anyways below are some awesome pictures from our trip today as well as some some other photos I have taken over the past few days. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment