Saturday 8 September 2012

Road Trip to Montreal Day 1

Today was Day 1 of our road trip to GVC (Guaranteed Viable Curriculum) training in Montreal! Marsha, Carmen and I started out this morning at 8:30 from Wemindji and drove 800km to arrive this evening in Amos, a town about 9.5 hours north of Oakville.  The drive was pretty awesome, the James Bay Highway is a beautiful drive and it was kind of nice even not to have any cell phone reception or bars which means you have time to just talk or watch the scenery without distractions.  Marsha and Carmen and I did some major bonding, I witnessed their homemade car outhouse, and ate some delicious home made bun sandwiches made by the talented Marsha!

I didn't get very much sleep last night since I was at a girl's night last night at Shelby's (Holla!!!) which was really fun!  I got to know some other teachers a lot better and I am so glad I did.  I am surrounded by awesome amazing people in Wemindji, the more I get to know people the more at home I feel.  Everyone has a great story and a great sense of humour.  So back to my original point, I am exhausted!!

I also have some news.  Today I drove my dream truck and if I wasn't sold on it before I certainly am now.  I was born to drive this truck (I want the Ford F-150XL Supercab).  My butt feels at home in Marsha and Jeremy's driver's seat. It didn't even feel like I was driving a bus (which it essentially is) and the interior is TO DIE FOR. Swoon!! I could literally park my car in the bed of that truck no lie.

Aside from driving a truck and EATING AT A RESTAURANT (sorry Maquatua Inn, you don't make the cut for that definition), today has been pretty regular.  Lots of laughs!

On a professional note, I am happy to announce that I got my Primary Education Part 1 (Equivalency)!!! For those who are interested or don't know, the OCT will evaluate certain courses taken during your undergrad based on length and content for equivalency for AQ courses.  If these courses match enough criteria for a particular AQ course, they will award you a course credit based on that equivalency.  It cost $50 per evaluation and took about 2 months from when I was officially registered as a teacher with the OCT. They won't evaluate until you have been registered.  Since I took my undergrad at Ryerson University in Early Childhood Education I figured there were bound to be some courses in there that were equivalent to some professional AQs so I asked OCT to evaluate 2 courses for 2 AQs, Kindergarten and Primary Education Part 1.  They awarded me Primary Education Part 1 and when I have completed one year of teaching, I submit proof and they will award me Primary Education Part 2! Pretty awesome and all for about $100! That sure beats the going cost of 1 AQ ($685 plus materials).  I plan on filing a few more equivalency evaluation requests in the near future to see what else I am eligible for.  I figure I put in the work for 4+ years at Ryerson in a program that was essentially teacher training, why not reap the benefits!!

I also participated in school-wide IEP (Individual Education Plans - educational planning documents for children with special needs) training which was really useful.  Maquatua Eeyou School is seriously committed to student success and is doing everything possible to bring their students up to grade level and its inspiring to see how hard these teachers work.  The Special Education team for the Cree School Board and at Maquatua Eeyou trained the staff to be able to get IEPs started for students who needed identification and accommodation or modification of curriculum in the classroom.  I have a few students who I felt would benefit from this type of plan so I got the ball rolling with the help of Stacy and feel really good about starting to contact parents and create programs that can strengthen the bond between school and home and create consistency for the students.  There are so few hours in the day that a lot of the work has to be done at home, and if the parents are willing, these students will start to make great strides in their education. 

I have also signed up to start tutoring in the elementary grades which I am pretty excited about.  I am going to offer my services to the parents of my students (and others as well) so that I can really get these kids up to level if they want the extra help.  The really nice thing is that the tutoring services are paid for the student by the Band so there is no cost to parents! The Band pays its tutors $30/hr tax free and you can take on as many students as you like.  So not only am I able to help students in need in a 1-1 setting, I can make some great money doing it too! I want to try and keep busy and motivated when the nights start getting longer and colder and this is a great way to do it.

Today Marsha and I were remarking on how different school is up North compared to down South, particularly with views on physical contact with students and the sharing of personal details and emotions.  For example, hugging is allowed and touching students affectionately like on the arm or putting an arm around a child to comfort is completely okay.  I can tell my class I love them openly and they respond with the same love.  Down South, touching of ANY kind is strictly prohibited and to share emotions like love is not as accepted as common practice I don't think.  I know where some of these children are coming from as far as home life and some of them really need a hug or to be told that they are loved and are special. One of my students came into my classroom yesterday during my prep and simply asked me for a hug.  I gladly gave her one and knew that it meant a lot.  In Southern Ontario I cannot freely give hugs. I understand the reasons behind no-touch policies, and it is a shame that there are some irresponsible and cruel educators who abuse the student-teacher relationship but there are children just like the ones in my classroom in Southern schools who need love and hugs just the same but do not receive them. I think sometimes we forget that there is an organic side to teaching that cannot be ignored, that students need to feel safe and warm and like they belong and are important.  I am very happy to be in a school and community that allows students to express love for their teachers and for teachers to build up confidence and self-worth in students by giving a hug when one is needed. 

Enough for now, enjoy some pictures from today!!

Love (haha) Aidan :)


Dog party at the school this morning!


Sorry, had to throw this one of my babies in there

You will be getting regular food pictures this week since we are savoring every meal that isn't cooked by ourselves!!



NOW THAT'S A TRUCK!

My hotel room at the Amosphere (sneaky little play on words there)

For those of you who know me, you know I LOVE free stuff, so to find that the hotel had installed pumps rather than give me travel-sized toiletries literally ruined my evening.  Carmen made a good point, bring little empty bottles from the dollarstore and rob these places blind!!

Obligatory bathroom shot sans poop in the toilet


Me seductively driving this truck.  Seduction.

Stacy took the plane to Montreal and was subjected to extreme food torture.  That grey ball is apparently rice...

Even though I am now a paid teacher, I will always steal free stuff!!! (I know technically toilet paper isn't something that is expected to be removed from hotel rooms but old habits die hard!!)

4 comments:

  1. So Gabriel just saw the picture of you driving the truck and said "Where's Aidan Mummy? So I explained where you are and what you are doing and next he said "Aidan has to teach other kids Mummy because other kids don't know things. I know EVERYTHING." After that declaration he asked about the picture of your hotel room and then announced that he loves staying in hotels but he does NOT like your hotel because it looks like a "spooky hotel, and Aidan shouldn't stay in spooky hotels Mummy. She should NOT. She should only stay in hotels with me and my Mummy and my Daddy. Oh and Neyra too." So there you go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aidan, I LOVE the idea of you driving a truck!

    And on a more serious note, I totally agree about the physical contact dilemma in schools...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aidan, I'm going to Wemindji this summer. Do you know if there are any buses from Montreal to Wemindji? I know there are flights but they seem pretty expensive :S I was wondering if you knew of any other methods of getting there that are more affordable other than driving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! There is no bus from Montreal to Wemindji, other than driving, air is the only other way to get here. You can try the James Bay Driving Condition facebook page or Wemindji Announcements facebook page and see if you can carpool since there is always someone driving up from that way!

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/355187837835373/
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/375762922508210/
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/375762922508210/

      Sorry about the late response, I always forget to check the comments part!!!! Good luck!

      Delete