Monday 9 July 2012

Packing, Purchasing, Prepping, Paperwork!

Hi!


Well, even though D-Day is just a month away, if you know me at all then you know I am already half-packed and shopping like crazy for all the stuff I need to bring up with me to Wemindji!

I have actually repacked these boxes twice.  I cut down on contents about 3%.  That's big for me.

While my new home is furnished, I need to make sure I bring all other small items like kitchen ware, bathroom and bedding stuff with me.  TRIP TO IKEA?! OKAY!  So technically I do already have a lot of the stuff I needed to bring such as duvets, pillows, cups, mugs, etc., but sometimes a girl's just gotta take a trip to Ikea to get some new things to make the home feel pretty.  Once I am all moved in and set up I will post pictures of my place. 


My beautiful new duvet cover set.  With matching throw pillow cases.  Drool.

I also had to do some shopping for electronics since living with Chris (new fangled electronics connoisseur) I didn't have any of my own stuff.  Luckily he is quite knowledgeable and was able to find me some good deals on a printer, computer monitor, DVD player etc.  Without him those sales people would see a sucker coming from a mile away. 

Womp womp

Since groceries are slightly more expensive up north (think: frozen pizza - $13+) I have been wisely advised to buy as many dry goods down south as I can and ship them up to me to last the year (or at least until Christmas when I fly home for my first vacation).  And which store is only slightly more exciting than Ikea? Why, it's the grown-ups Disney Land, COSTCO! So I'll be taking a trip over there soon to stock up on the essentials such as soups, medications, lady products, cleaning supplies, dried and canned goods etc.  I am almost too excited.  I love Costco. I LOVE COSTCO.


I am fully aware I look like a Muppet. And that my membership expired last February. WAHHHH.

On another positive note, I took my car to Midas (GO THERE) to get a once-over and evaluation for its hard-core road readiness.  I am happy to report that it has a clean bill of health and according to a very fine and knowledgeable gentleman, will go the distance! Thanks to my wonderful grandfather, the car is in really good condition and besides the work that was needed and was done earlier in the year, it is in great shape.  Not bad for a 15 year old Toyota! (By the way the dealership wanted to charge me $285 for that diagnosis, Midas - $47. 'nuff said.)

By the way, for those of you who know Mark Wickens (our AMAZING Methods teacher).  I wanted to share his reaction to my getting a job. Sooo funny, I can't wait for his visit! He can stay in my second bedroom! (But seriously, how awesome would it be to have Mark as a  house guest?!)


After that was Joanne, our incredible Math teacher from Brock.  I was totally overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and excitement from two of my most favorite instructors.  I feel totally confident in my ability to teach these grade 5's thanks to those two!! I LOVE DOING MATH!




I am currently in the process of gathering my necessary paperwork and applying for the certification to teach in Quebec! Tomorrow's goals: get a lawyer to certify a copy of my passport, have my universities mail yet another copy of my transcripts out to the necessary recipients (ya hear me Brock people?), drop stuff off at my storage unit, pack more and maaaybe do some more shopping.  What is a girl to do?  I can only hope that becoming certified to teach in Quebec is half as complicated as it is to become so in Ontario (After 8 months of paperwork I am finally certified. Ugh).

Until next time!!



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Mark Wickens makes me want to die. I want to get hired mostly so that I can get an email from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right!!?? It makes moving 1500km+ all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Joanne Graham! She was so excited to teach us math at 8am in the morning! I will never forget that professor ever!

    ReplyDelete