Sunday 27 October 2013

S(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)W

Well, it's finally happened.  Snow has officially arrived in Wemindji.  After a few "preparatory" days of flurries here and there - a little tease for the senses - I awoke this morning to a healthy blanket of white stuff covering as far as the groggy eye could see.  I woke naturally to the bright light (wait, BRIGHT?) shining through my blinds.  I knew immediately something was wrong.  This kind of light was something I remembered foggily from my past.  It wasn't a bright-sunlight kind of light.  It was a reflective, ominous kind of bright light. It was... SNOW LIGHT. If you have ever woken up to a fresh snowfall, you know what I mean.  This brightness shining through was not that of the glorious sun.  It was the glow of a trillion tiny snowflakes resting upon what used to be grass, driveway and road. 

Some see the arrival of snow and chilly temperatures as a invitation from Mother Earth to "come outside and enjoy the new and exciting things I have to offer you!", dressed up in a blanket of white, fluffy stuff!  I see it as a rescinded offer to participate in the world.  Well, there used to be a sidewalk here, lets GUESS where it is now and until June.  There USED to be a road here, shrug! Oh you like hopping in your car and driving away? NOT GONNA HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.  And let the season of complaining begin!!!

Luckily I have a family of hamsters to raise which I anticipate will keep me quite busy over the next couple of months.  Yes, I am still proud Goo Goo to a number of baby hamsters plus Carmonika.  I have done quite well if I do say so myself at not interfering with the nest and just peeking through the bars every now and then to try and catch a glimpse of my new hamily!  Carmonika is friendly but cautious, coming out every now and then to eat and prance around the cage for a minute or two.  From what I can see through the bars there are at least 5 babies in there, maybe more.  If any have died I think they would have been the runts and not been murdered.  My theory is if she was going to murder some, she would have murdered all.  Carmonika strikes me as an all-or-nothing kinda gal. 

There is a plus side to all this snow!  I will again become super teacher (locking myself in my classroom where the snow can't touch me), my house will SPARKLE, my freezer will overflow with baked goods and prepared meals, my eyebrows will be plucked DAILY, blog updated with no real news HOURLY, and I can catch up on all my long-neglected TV shows!  Here I come Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Borgias, Dexter, Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead!  Who knows, maybe I'll even have time to finished re-watching ER!  Who am I kidding, OF COURSE I'll have time!  Winter lasts 13.5 months here!!

This year's Halloween door!

This was Friday

Epic muffin failure. Don't want to talk about it.

Carmonika watching me watch her.

Neat frost on my windshield! (Neat frost? Listen to me I've lost my mind)


My view for the next 78 months.


Hmm..


GREAT IDEA picking a white car!! How am I going to find this thing in a snow drift?!?

Goodbye stylish summer/fall footwear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment