Tuesday 1 October 2013

Indepdendent Women!

The more time I spend up North, the more I realize I can be self-sufficient (as much as I love to complain about having no significant other to do things for me).  This both scares me and delights me at the same time.

For example, I set up my own wifi!  How?! By following the instructions... I hung up some pictures!  How?  With finishing nails... Little things like this make me realize that perhaps I can really do things on my own, I don't necessarily need to rely on a "man" shall we say, to do it for me!! That being said, any major fix-it projects that need taking care of are done by the school's maintenance staff... Haha!

This brings me to my story.  So Carmen and I have had a few major hangy-thingies that needed taking care of but required the use of a drill.  Neither of us had a drill so we just let them sit for months.  Finally we decided to borrow a drill from a friend and using our brains and a little bit of teamwork, hung our own mirrors and art!  Amazing!! Remember the rule "measure twice cut once"?  Well, we kinda forgot that one and ended up drilling plenty of little holes in the walls before getting it right but the overall, finished look is what was desired!  I was proud of my ability to stand back and watch Carmen do the dirty work while I make my marks with the pencil on the walls and handed her the tools.  Now our walls are pretty and we feel like men.  (Holding a drill can be an empowering thing!)

Otherwise another busy (5 day ugh) week!  Anecdotal Report night (basically a pre-report card parent-teacher interview night, think: progress reports?) tomorrow evening.  I am proud to show the parents all the amazing work my students have been producing and to tell them how hard they have been working!  Then, Thursday is a visit from representatives of the Cree School Board followed by a meeting with them at the Band Office, should be fun!  Then of course, like I could forget, it is my birthday!  The kids have requested I bring in cupcakes to celebrate (okay, you twisted my arm) so that will be a fun thing to do on Friday! 

The kids wrote their first math test for me today.  Knowing what I know now, the one I wrote was perhaps a little ambitious.  I like to plan for success and I feel like the first page was definitely tricky, the rest not so bad but we will see the true success once I sit down and mark them all! 

I found a dino bone on my walk the other day!

 Better get on that!
 Wemindji is full of rocks if no one has noticed by now!



 The hallway is crooked, not the picture...
 Heh heh heh
 Success brings a tear to my eye!
 Voila!
 Our attempt at "measuring"
Aww yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment