Monday 4 April 2016

April's Fool

I am convinced that the world does not want me to be vertical.  The pull of gravity is just too much for my feeble body.  My being craves the ground, and the ground it shall have, over and over again.

Yes folks, I have fallen again.  Fallen not once, but twice again since my great collapse of 2016.

The first time was last week on the pool deck at the sports complex after a group swim with all the Grade 2s.  I was the last out after doing a sweep for kids things and I fell in front of the change room doors.  I recovered quickly and got back up but did hurt my knee a little in the process.

The second time was last Friday, almost 1 week TO THE MINUTE after my previous fall, at the complex too!  This time it was after I stepped off a 3 inch sidewalk, tripped on both my feet and fell flat on my face.  I did not move this time.  I lay there - defeated.  Christine cried out "Oh no!" and Monika knew I had hit the ground.  She rolled me over, checking my beautiful face for scratches and scrapes.  There were none.  She credits my generous upper body for saving my money maker.  I agree.  Anyways, it took a whole host of people to lift me off the ground and this time I definitely hurt my ankle (the one I damaged the first time I fell in Wemindji - also off a sidewalk hmmm) and scraped my bad knee.  I limped to the car, laughing and in utter disbelief that I had fallen again, nearly hurting myself badly again.  I have since almost recovered but my knee still isn't the same.

Anyways besides the fact that my body just wants to become one with the cold earth, things are going along just fine.  Sadly, Christine, my incredible student teacher left us this weekend to finish up her program at Bishops and become a teacher!  It was an amazing 13 weeks working with her and she brought much to the classroom.  It was awesome having such a capable educator-in-training in the room who completely dedicated herself to the student's learning, their emotional well-being, bringing Cree culture into the classroom as well as collaborating with other professionals and totally immersing herself in the community.  It was a wonderful experience for us both and I feel proud to have been her mentor teacher and even more proud to now call her my friend!

The weekend before last was Easter! 4 unadulterated days off sans children.  I slept so much it was glorious.  I also hosted a lovely Easter dinner for 13 of my nearest and dearest which was really nice.  Everyone brought something different and delicious and I lived off leftovers for days!

It has been as cold as ever here.  SO COLD.  Today was about -30 with the windchill and it is WINDY.  To make matters worse, we had a few days of really warm weather (think -2) and it melted a lot of the ice on the roads.  However, with melted ice comes slush.  And with slush and overnight dropping of temperatures below -20 comes ICE again.  There are ice fields everywhere.  There is a huge sharp and dangerous ice monstrosity at the end of my driveway which I wince at every time I drive over it, sure that this time I will burst a tire on the sharp outcroppings.  Also because of all this ice, I am walking at a pace of about -456 km/hr to ensure I do not slip and fall.  This is getting ridiculous people.  Even Bobo, a blind and disabled dog himself, is carrying on better than I am.

Anyways, now I am back to solitary teaching in my classroom.  I took what will probably be my last sick day of the year last week (feeling absolutely dead with a head cold but knowing I could trust my classroom to Christine) and Goosebreak is 3.5 short weeks away!! Look out Southern Ontario, I'm coming for ya!










No comments:

Post a Comment