Monday 17 August 2015

Fabulous First Day

Today was the first day of school and it went off without a hitch!! This is my fourth year teaching in the northern community of Wemindji and it couldn't have gone any better. I am really lucky to have pretty much my entire class from last year and thank goodness they remembered most of the rules and what we learned last year. Of course they are a little rusty in some areas but I have confidence we will soon make good progress. 

The kids were SUPER excited with all the new additions to our class such as the green shag rug, circus reading tent, "big kid" desks, biiiiiig smart board, fish and tons of new games. We read some cute back to school stories, talked and wrote about our summer vacations, jumped into the morning routine, they had gym AND Cree Language (very exciting!) and even recess! Amazingly, most of them even knew what Pac Man was so my door wasn't lost on them! Win!! This day might have been the most exciting day ever for them. Only a few kids knew I was coming back to be their teacher again so there were some very surprised and happy faces in the hallway this morning. I was touched that they were happy to have me back again and it was like no time had passed. It's going to be a really fun year and I can't wait to watch the growth I know will happen over the next few months!

We also named our classroom fish today. The fish are a huge hit in the classroom and the kids were mostly amazed at how I managed to bring them up here without spilling everywhere (each kid has spent their fair share of time on the James Bay Highway and access road and knows how bumpy they can be!!)

Allow me to introduce you to:

John Cena, after the wrestler, and 
TNT, after the explosive. 

Yep. 

So anyways! We also recieved nice "Teacher Survival Kit" from administration today which was really sweet and thoughtful. A nice way to start the first day of school. 



Well, tomorrow is day 2 and I hope it will be as good as today was!

No comments:

Post a Comment