Wednesday 3 June 2015

Update: Waterpocalypse 2015

It's been 24 hours with no water. After our trip to the lake last night for flushing water (which I misused and ended up seriously clogging my toilet) things began to sink in (no pun intended).  How long would this last? How many Diet Pepsis do I have to tide me over? I began to take inventory of all liquids. I became extremely thirsty. I had to pee every 5 minutes it seemed. This experience has become something of a psychological warfare. As soon as you know there's no water it's ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT. 

Anyways, after hearing the school was closed (along with all buildings except the grocery store and bank) I tried to relax but ended up going to the store to buy some water incase this event lasted more than the day. 12-1 liter bottles cost me a cool $21 which hurt but can you really put a price on life?? Apparently yes. 

After figuring out how to effectively flush a toilet with lake water, I went about collecting coolers full of rainwater runoff from the downspout on my house. I'm pretty set for flushes now for the next few days if need be. 

So here's the real update. Something electrical at the water treatment plant busted and a part needed to be flown in. The crews have been working tirelessly to solve the problem which is so fantastic. Actually, I'm impressed and grateful for all the municipal workers I have seen still working today when essentially everyone in the community was given the day off so a huge than you to all who kept working! Anyways the part was supposed to arrive on the plane today but rumor has it that the plane couldn't land due to fog and was either rerouted or the part won't be arriving afterall. These are just rumors for now and we will be receiving an official update from the municipality this evening. 

Wish us luck! I'll be starting a crowd funding page soon to help me afford all the bottled water I may be needing if this goes on any longer!! 

Collecting rain water the hard way. 

Collecting rainwater the smart way. 

Things got serious at the grocery store. 


All my precious rainwater!

This is why I am buying my drinking water. 


Note to self: cease all ingestion of daily fibre supplement effective IMMEDIATELY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment