Sunday 31 May 2015

Winter Wonderland Pt2

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have trouble truly enjoying any climate. Cold, hot, I'm usually miserable. I hate the extreme cold of the north yet I find it fit enough to call my home for the past 3 years (go figure). I can't stand any heat above 20 degrees so coming home for summers in tropical-like Ontario is also a major bummer. That combined with my extreme ability to crisp like a fried onion once the sun touches my delicate ginger skin that hasn't been exposed to natural rays for 9 months, makes me quite unhappy during the summer. HOWEVER. What makes me most upset is the promise of warmer weathers by all normal standards that is never delivered on. People, it's June tomorrow. What did we get last night? Take a wiiiiiiiild guess. That's right. Snow. Of course. Well, being the stubborn person that I am, I went out on the town wearing my sparkly flip flops and leggings, refusing to accept this most recent weather system. It's been snowing almost daily since we got back from Goosebreak and I have had to get my winter jacket out of the closet where I so lovingingly shoved it before leaving in May. Refusing still to wear my boots, I have settled on sneakers. I long for flat and sandal wearing weather. 

Anyways, now that we are back from Goosebreak it is really crunch time for our Grade 1s. It was a little hard coming back for a lot of them, getting back into routine and buckling down was tricky and I felt a little discouraged. However, all the hard work my class did last week proved to me that things are moving along well and I'm really happy with the progress they are making! June is going to be very busy with lots of testing so getting in the last of the material now is going to be overwhelming but I think also rewarding. 

Last night I went to a ladies raclette dinner. It was great to catch up with some people I don't normally get to talk to in depth for a couple of hours and enjoy some delicious cheese-smothered food. Friday I did some deep spring-reorganizing of the home and found many treasures! Today I am going into the classroom for a bit to do some planning and packing. I am starting to pack up the non-essentials now because my family is coming to visit the last week I am in Wemindji and I don't want to be at school every night until 9 packing up when I can be enjoying some quality time with them at home and around town!

Friday was part 1 of Annie Whiskeychan day (a Cree cultural celebration) and I got to see another walking out ceremony (where the child takes their first steps on earth). It was very rainy and cold but also a great tradition to witness and I also got some delicious egg salad sandwiches out of the deal so it was a win win in my opinion. 

Lies lies lies





The tree for the little girl to "chop" 
The teepee from which the children emerge.  
The geese ready to be "shot" (pre-killed and propped up on spikes). 
Walking out! They are both carrying wooden rifles. 
Pretending to shoot the geese. 
"Chopping" down the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment