Monday 6 April 2015

Eat Your Heart Out Easter!

Another long weekend has come and gone and I took every advantage to nap and watch Netflix. 

We have been blessed in Wemindji in the last couple of months with plenty of short teaching weeks. This one was the piece de resistance, a 4-day long weekend of work obligation-free time away from the classroom!! Besides unloading a truck delivery for Breakfast Program in a blustery blizzard on Friday morning, I managed to spend most of the weekend doing what I do best: cleaning, sleeping and hosting parties. Lol Jk but not really about that last one. 

As I alluded to above I hosted an Easter dinner for 13 of my dearest coworkers and friends. I had to borrow a table and chairs from school but still managed to squeeze everyone in! It was potluck style and everyone brought delicious sides and desserts and a great time was had by all. It was my first time cooking a turkey and rightly so I was extremely nervous. I spent the better part of an hour screaming and gagging on the phone to my mother who (bless her heart) tried to walk me through the de-necking of one of two raw turkeys I prepared (turns out this one was pre-de-necked and I was in fact cutting out the spine but that's a tale for another day).  After delivering my "backup" turkey to Meghan who graciously cooked it for me in her oven while I cooked the other in mine, I retuned home to do some last minute prep. Guests arrived and we had a great meal and chatted long into the night. 

Turkey #1

Turkey #2





This weekend the Internet service was pretty spotty and I've been watching my Netflix screen pause at loading the new season of the Mindy Project at 82% for the last 5 minutes so I feel as if we may be in another "ebb" of the "ebb and flow" cycle. Oh well. That's what books (aka naps) are for! Sometimes I feel like a pioneer living in the wilderness in the 1800s or whatever. Hand me my knitting box dear and I'll darn your socks by the light of the fireplace. Next thing you know I'll be churning my own damn butter and milking stray Wemindji dogs for my morning cornflakes. ANYWAYS.


Speaking of Internet, one man has been working tirelessly to solve our Creenet problems. That man, that INTERNET SUPERHERO would be the great and powerful Jeremy Brown. People, the one man you want in your corner is Jeremy Brown. He is a dedicated family man, a connoisseur of all things all things, a true friend and confidante. Truly. The better half of my good friend Marsha, Jeremy works hard for our community and amways has time to help out his friends. And, tomorrow is his birthday!! So the happiest of birthdays to you Mr. Jeremy Brown and from our friend....


No comments:

Post a Comment