Monday 1 December 2014

Decembrrrrrr

Guess what! It still hasn't stopped snowing! We have gone from snowfall to constant blizzard status however and it hasn't stopped (except for some short relief on Saturday) for a week! The winds are gusting at over 80km/hr making visibility near to zero and everything is being blown away, including my sanity.

Shoveling has really taken over my life so this month I bit the bullet and paid $150 to have my driveway plowed by an industrial snowplow/snowblower service every time it snows. It is a steal seeing as though the average plow costs $60. This way my driveway will always be plowed when it snows (as it has been daily and with fervor) and I don't even have to call. Today the plow man even widened and shortened my driveway which was amazing. All of the recent snowfall has added approximately 4 feet to the end of my driveway as the snow slowly takes over the streets. It's a sight.  

On the bright side, Christmas is in full swing at MES and us Grade 1 teachers sat down tonight after school and planned out our Christmas concert song. We had soooo many laughs re-writing the old classic 12 Days of Christmas to reflect Wemindji. I can't wait to help the kids learn it starting tomorrow, so cute! 

We also started "Elf on the Shelf" today in Grade 1. Each child in my class got to submit a name to a random draw. One submission, Janet Jackson, had me laughing and wondering where this kid even heard of Ms. Jackson (if you're nasty) so I let it in. Who knew it would win?! So sadly I had to discretely scrap that one and pull again, this time landing with Sylvain for the win. So welcome Sylvain the Elf to 1B. This elf acts as a spy for Santa, watching the kids by day and reporting back to the big guy at night    Each morning the elf is posed differently, perhaps caught doing something funny or cute so the kids know he was up and about during the night. If he gets touched though he could lose his magic. Of course the first thing my kids do when they saw him nestled in our mini Christmas tree was grab him and fling him around but luckily we had not named him yet (the key to unlocking the magic) and he was still okay. 

Otherwise things have been as busy as usual. Planning time and social events are slowly filling up my weekend calendar (as if there is anything else to do) and I am looking forward to some fun nights with friends this month. 

Anyways the countdown is on! Oakville watch out I am coming home soon to sleep for 2 whole weeks!! 

Meet Sylvain 
Our names...
Saturday at 10am. We haven't recorded "sunny" on our class weather graph in weeks...
Breakfast for dinner at Sam's house!
Mr. Plow!
Elementary Mafia 

No comments:

Post a Comment