Sunday 23 November 2014

Snowpocalypse

I feel for the folks down South. I hear your complaints about the terrible snowfalls that have happened recently and how 5cm here and there have really inconvenienced you and your daily life. I get it! Believe me I do. Before I moved to the great (arguable) white (unarguable) North (very much so), I would have been overwhelmed by the recent dumping of white fluffy stuff too. But this past week I simply say to my southern complainers: suck it up. 

I have earned the right to say that. I'll tell ya why. I have earned that right because on average, I shovel about 3 times a day. I don't mean make a path to walk from car to door. No no. I mean I have to shovel my entire driveway AND the minimum 2-3ft icey snow mountain at the end of my driveway 3x DAILY.  It has snowed in Wemindji all day every day since last Wednesday the 12th. HEAVY snowfall. Snowfall that could make your mama cry. Big beautiful flakes that mean nothing more than an hour minimum of hardcore cardio. Every day is arm day at my gym. I literally have guns like Popeye at this point. I am covered in bruises and to blow dry my hair I need to take an Advil. Coming inside constantly from the cold has my house heating cranked up and despite my best efforts to stay hydrated and moisturized, I still manage to wake up looking like the crypt keeper, tongue like beef jerkey, lips stuck to teeth and skin like a crumpled paper bag. 

But it's so pretty, they say. Beautiful snowflakes falling everywhere, they say. Yah well tell me how pretty this white stuff is when it's knee (or waist) high and you have to wake up half an hour early to make sure you can get out of the driveway in time for school?? Forgive me. I know I'm getting a little carried away here. You just have to try and see it from my perspective. Tomorrow we are getting ANOTHER 15cm so in feeling just a tad pessimistic. Combating the snow and cold have turned me into a frosty-you-know-what and I'm desperately trying to turn over a new leaf. Anyways, I'll try and update to let you know if I made it through tomorrow. Fingers crossed!








No comments:

Post a Comment