Sunday 26 October 2014

Happy Halloween!

Well folks, another week has come and gone.  I am currently experiencing the tell-tale symptoms of an oncoming cold but doing my best to fight it BECAUSEEEEEEEEE I am coming home to Ontario this week to be Maid of Honor in my wonderfully lovely and gorgeous friend Katherine's wedding!!

Let's backstart (as the kids say).  Last week was a glorious 4 day teaching week which meant we were blessed with a PED day on Friday.  What I anticipated would be a drawn out, perhaps boring day of professional development turned out to be an awesome science workshop facilitated by Elephant Thoughts, an educational group that works with students in the North as well as all over the world in the field of science.  We carried out experiments all day and learned some really cool ways to get kids engaged in science in the classroom.  We dissected owl barf (barf), made ice cream in a bag, experimented with circuits, made goop, pop bottle car machiney things, homemade lava lamps, soil profiles with cookies and pudding and so much more. It was very cool and a great way to spend the day. 

That night, I did some snack prep for a surprise baby shower on Saturday and then headed over to my fellow teacher Shelby's house for a really fun night of wedding invite-making activities and wine tasting!  It was super fun to sit and chat with some friends, try some really great wines and help her prepare for her big day! Lots of fun!

Saturday was a surprise baby shower for another friend Katherine.  She will be leaving the community soon to give birth to her first child and we were all excited to shower her with gifts and play some really fun and hilarious games.  The organizers went all out and it was a great afternoon.  Later on though I began to feel a little under the weather and had to cancel my dinner and a movie plans with the girls.  I spent the rest of the evening getting my Halloween goody bags ready and other tasks requiring little energy and watching Netflix.  Can someone please explain to me why Netflix likes to interrupt what I am watching to ask if I am still watching it?  Um yes it is still playing IS IT NOT?  Anyways.

Today I slept in, woke up, ate breakfast and went back to bed.  Then I headed into school to plan with Meghan and Monika for the upcoming week of fun Halloween activities and excitement! I am a little disappointed to be missing out on all the fun because if you know me, you know I LOVE to dress up and act a fool.  But I have been #blessed with a great substitute and know they will have fun even with my not being there.

The reason I am missing out on Halloween in the classroom this year is that I am honored to be Maid of Honor in my dear friend Katherine's wedding!! I was SO surprised and touched when she asked me last summer and I have had so much fun participating in all the wedding festivities that I have been able to attend.  Being far away definitely doesn't make me the best candidate for a position like this so I have tried to make the best of it while I am home and Katherine has been more than understanding and accommodating.  I am really looking forward to seeing her and my friends for a (really) quick visit home on Wednesday through Sunday. 

So in preparation I have been trying to grow my hair and nails for the occasion.  If you know anything about me, you know I have THE WORST luck with hair growth and hair cuts.  The last time I had my hair cut, it was styled into a most fashionable mullet, taking me two years to grow back into some sort of length.  My hair is particularly fine as well, making any sort of beautiful style fall incredibly flat.  So since I haven't had a cut since December 2012, my hair is understandably crispy and resembles a petrified forest.  I have decided to throw caution to the wind and get a trim up here tomorrow afternoon by a visiting hair stylist so that I don't insult the wedding hairstylist with my offensive locks.  Yes, I know the last time I got a trim in Wemindji I was left looking like an 80's soccer mom, but I am hoping the words "JUST 2 INCHES" and a stare of death will send the right message. 

Anyways, I am hoping to get to bed early again tonight to continue to fight off what I hope isn't a bad cold and get myself and my classroom ready for the big departure!!



Inspired baby shower diaper bouquet!




Large crack in my windshield.  Not impressed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment