Sunday 6 April 2014

Boring time in Boring Land

LOL JK I'm the boring one not Wemindji. To be honest, if I wasn't such an avid indoorsman, I'd be enjoying all the splendor and magic that this glorious land has to offer. But like I say, the great indoors call my name far more often than the outdoors do, and when your name is called it is rude not to answer. 

So life has been chugging along quietly the past couple of weeks. My mom arrived back in Wemindji last week and picked back up in the other Grade 2 class next door so it's business as usual! School is keeping me as busy as ever and we are working as hard as ever to get as much curriculum covered in the weeks of April before the sweet, glorious GOOSE BREAK!

Yes ladies and gents Goose Break will soon be upon us and I have to say I am quite excited. It has been a loooooooong bunch of months up here in eternal winter-land and I am looking forward to going home, relaxing (aka sleeping for 12 hours a day) seeing friends and family and perhaps enjoying some real life spring weather!! Living in the world's biggest snow globe can get a teensy bit annoying at times so I am looking forward to a nice, relaxing break. 

So let's see what has happened since I last got on this thing. Well when I got back from family time down south a couple of weeks ago we had the first MES Winter Carnival organized by the School Spirit Committee (of which I am a member). It went swimmingly and the kids really enjoyed it! Another evening I enjoyed a nice fire at one of the school's teepees with some other teachers and literally froze my buns off but still managed to have a nice time. Last night was Marsha's husband Jeremy's rock star-themed birthday party which was incredibly fun. Jeremy, among many other things, is a super profesh photographer with his very own green screen so you only have to use your imagination to picture the shenanigans that transpired last night! Lacking appropriate rock star attire, I borrowed a flannel shirt from a friend, threw on my Converse sneakers, dabbed on some black eyeliner and dark eye shadow, let the hair go au naturel (aka frizzy mess) and embodied the "grunge" look. I maintained the "tortured/depressed/unimpressed/disaffected-youth" expression for much of the night. I take my dress up roles - when I engage, very seriously. In all it was a great night and I had a ton of fun. 

So anyways today my mom, Monika and Carmen and I drove to Radissson to visit the craft store and of course eat at Chez Mika. Well big fat bummer because the craft store was CLOSED (for an entire month) and we were quite literally devastated. So basically we drove for a total of 4 hours to eat a hamburger. Now don't get me wrong, At desperate times I wouldn't scoff at driving 4 hours for a delicious French cheeseburger but this was upsetting as I had things I needed to get!! Oh well. They reopen on April 30th so we will definitely go back ASAP! Anyways we did see two caribou on the way back which had us all screaming because they were just hanging out in the middle of the road around a blind corner. We quickly recovered after almost killing them and took tons of photos. Super cool!

Anyways tomorrow is a student-less day at school since the provincial elections here in Quebec have made it necessary for the Cree School Board to give the kids the day off (to vote??) LOL. Who knows. I don't get it but I am not arguing with an entire day of planning in the classroom!! Yay!! 

Well enjoy some photographic gems from the past couple of weeks!




Glorious paaaaint!!! 
Pavement!!
Beauty!!





No comments:

Post a Comment