Sunday 23 March 2014

"Snow" Much Spring!

What a crazy couple of weeks it has been.  As you may know, my Grandfather passed away on the 12th and I immediately returned home.  I was just wrapping up Report Card Night and parent interviews when I got the call from my mother at 8pm.  I dropped everything, got my plans organized for the time I would be gone and took off the next morning just before 7am.  I drove 17 hours and got to Oakville just after midnight.  Surprisingly, it was a nice clear drive.  Great weather, no traffic and good company (Bobo).  I wasn't tired and it helped leaving so early/arriving so late as I missed all the typical traffic in the usual spots.

I got home, spent a little time with my mom and Auntie Melanie, who was staying at the house in Oakville for a few nights and promptly crashed.  The next few days were busy with arrangements and spending time with family.  It was a bittersweet visit, I got to see my family and some friends and enjoy some gorgeous weather, but for a reason I wish I didn't need to return for!  Either way I feel like the whole experience really drew our family together even closer and it was really lovely to see everyone and support each other through that hard time.

I was definitely put at ease knowing I had an excellent substitute in my classroom.  Katrina, a local lifeguard took over my class and I know it was a success because *everything was how I left it*.  Any teacher can attest to the attitude that it is easier to come in sick than have to make plans and return to chaos just for a day of rest.  Not being able to turn off the teacher brain is another thing.  "What are they doing right now? Oh god it's period 5 and I forgot this and that.  My whiteboard markers are probably being smushed as we speak!!!"  That sort of thing.  I was so relieved to know they would have the same substitute for the 5 days I was gone.  The kids would have consistency, plans would likely be followed and I could always hunt down the sub if my whiteboard markers were indeed smushed (haha just kidding). 

Coming back was exhausting.  I split the drive into two days because I wanted to avoid driving the no-mans-land of the James Bay Highway and Wemindji Access Road in the dark by myself.  So I stayed in the good old Amosphere (bed devoid of hairballs this time, joy!) and arrived the next day in Wemindji, welcomed by A COMPLETELY CLEARED DRIVEWAY!!!!!! Honestly, nothing could have made me happier than seeing what was quickly becoming a halfpipe of ice and snow GONE.  You see, since my house is on the end of the street, it is either where all the snow from the snowplow gets dumped when it goes by or where all the snow is dumped when the street gets widened. When the street gets widened I am in luck!  This is because in order to dump all the snow cleared to re-widen the street, they need to use my side yard.  To access this sideyard, they need use my driveway.  To use my driveway, they need to clear it.  Bingo Bango and my driveway is cleared!! This has happened a number of times this year and each time I am eternally grateful.  Seeing a little pavement on my driveway made me think that perhaps spring was on its way, there was hope!  Of course the cold weather has returned and there is snow everywhere again but that little taste of spring recharged the batteries!

I returned to work on Friday just in time for the afternoon Winter Carnival organized by the School Spirit Committee (of which I am a member).  I felt horrible taking off right before the event, leaving a lot of the work to be done by my fellow committee members but it went off without a hitch!  It was a great success and all who participated really enjoyed it.  It was a great way to reward the kids who have a long stretch of school without breaks  (like their teachers) and who just finished a heavy round of testing.  The kids had a BLAST and we did too.  SNOW much fun!

Friday night was Nicaragua Bingo night with proceeds going to fundraising for the trip this summer! It was really fun and equally stressful, high stakes and even higher emotions as we ALMOST won.

Last night I hosted my friend Carmen's 26th birthday.  A small gathering of a few girls, some games, good food and of course birthday cake made for a fantastic evening with a lot of laughs.  Today I spent a few hours in the classroom planning for the upcoming week and getting reorganized.

This weekend I also prepared for my mother's return to Wemindji.  She is going to come back on Wednesday and help out where needed at the school until Goosebreak, like planned until my Grandad got sick.  Hopefully the weather will continue to improve so I can show her what Wemindji is like when it isn't blowing winds from the cold depths of hell at 90km/hr in -40.  I LOVE WINTER!



A beautiful sunny day in Oakville

My classroom during testing!

St. Jude's Church in Downtown Oakville

A bouquet of handmade paper flowers from my students!

Bobo making new friends at 381km

Carmen might recognize this house...

The most gorgeous dog ever.

ALMOST won $2500

My first bingo card!

STRESS

Yikes!

Beautiful flowers from my Wemindji friends!
 
Bobo's new toy from Nellie!!! He loved it!

The position of the ride.  Very comfortable.
Triplex girls!

Oakville joy!

Happy Birthday Carmen!
Birthday night!
So now I see why we had no eggs on Friday!
So much barking I drugged him.
It didn't work....
Peek-a-boo!



1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do the one-shot drive back to Ontario. Even with audiobooks, language lesson and music, I don't have the concentration for more than 8-10 hours a day MAX!

    ReplyDelete