Sunday 13 April 2014

Awesome Time in Awesome Land!

There ya go Marsha. 

2 weeks until Goose Break! 8 teaching days! 2 4-day weeks! 1 extra long weekend!! Do I sound excited? IT'S BECAUSE I AM. 

Don't get me wrong. I love my class to pieces, love my job, love Wemindji, love my school, love my home. So much love. But nothing tickles my fancy like a nice extended holiday in civilization. And a trip to Dollarama. And Costco. Oh boy. 

It has, however started to worry me a little that thanks to some modern advances and services, life waaaaaaay up north is beginning to look a lot like life down south. I shall elaborate. The grocery store here, while has come a looooong way since the Foodpocalypse '12, still leaves a lot to be desired as far as variety, selection and prices go. Recently, a group of colleagues and I have started ordering groceries from an online IGA store in Amos. We place an online order every two weeks and this order comes in a nice big magical truck right to our front doors!!!! WHAT!! And basically anything you can get from a real life IGA, you can also get from their online grocery store. It is truly an experience and a marvelous one at that. There is a small packing fee and shipping is reimbursed by the school board but otherwise the prices are pretty comparable to southern grocery stores and you really can't beat the selection and variety of both fresh and non-perishables!! I ordered MASON JARS this week! Tri-coloured carrots! And a 24 of diet Pepsi for $9.99! What the heck!! Anyways. This makes me realize that life isn't so hard when you are resourceful and have access to the Internet!

Another wonderful event took place this week! Marsha, Monika and Carmen and I have booked our summer trip to Florida in July! We were going to go Vegas but there were too many cons: (Britney Spears wasn't performing in the month of July - the only reason I was going) the average temperature for July was literally 120 degrees, and we couldn't agree on how many nights we wanted to stay either. SOO we decided to take advantage of Carmen's parents home in a gated community in Fort Myers and fly down!!! We plan on shopping, relaxing, and re-energizing on an obscene level. We have also planned an overnight trip to Miami in our rental convertible (..maybe) and plan to feed some gaters on the way over. It is going to be an epic trip and I CAN'T WAIT. 

This weekend has also been particularly productive. I got tons done around the house which felt nice. We celebrated Sam's birthday on Friday night which was DELICIOUS (people should really have more birthdays you know). The snow is starting to melt (despite a blizzard and epic windstorm on Thursday) and I can see most of my driveway now!! Bobo has been enjoying the last few days of leash-free freedom that only Wemindji can offer and while there is still literally feet of snow on the ground, Spring might be just around the corner! This week at school we are starting our money unit which I am particularly excited about because I managed to find some chocolate coins in Radisson which will help celebrate the end of our unit hehe. A joint class Easter party on Thursday followed by what looks like will be a gorgeous Easter long weekend. 

Time is flying by and I will be seeing all of my southern friends and family soon!

Even my bird wants to die from all this snow. 
Happy Birthday Sam!!
<3
Ugh 






No comments:

Post a Comment