Wednesday 19 March 2014

Saying Goodbye to Grandad

It brings me much sadness to say that last week my darling Grandad passed away just shy of his 85th birthday of lung cancer. My Grandad was a dynamic man with a deep commitment to family, friends, the arts and storytelling. He touched so many lives and made quite an impact on the lives of many children over the years as a volunteer at my elementary school reading once a week to my and my sisters classes in his retirement years.

With a flare for the dramatics (something I believe was handed down to me...) he was an amateur actor on the Oakville stage in dozens of plays. I had the fortune to act alongside him at a very young age in a Stagecraft Production of The Seven Year Itch. I remember the time we spent together fondly and have many, many memories to last me a lifetime. 

My Grandad was a source of support throughout my entire life. He devoted his life to my mother, aunts and my sisters and I. He was extremely generous and would have given everything, and did, to ensure we would never go without. Braces, lessons, books, clothing, even cars. If we needed it and he could provide, he would without a seconds thought. I hope that I showed him the gratitude he deserved for the things he did for my family. 

The little things he would do when we were growing up were a source of constant entertainment. Wearing his shorts so high they sat just below his nipples, his socks pulled almost as steep. Getting McDonalds drive-through and making us put it in the trunk until we got home to keep his car spotless (something I would appreciate later on when that spotless car became mine). Waltzing with each of us as babies in front of the camera, leaving us all with our own photo of his pure joy at having three more beautiful ladies in his life. He used to play with my earlobes when I was young. It weirded me out when I became a teen, not realizing it was his way of showing affection and now there isn't anything I wouldn't trade for those moments! 

We spoke a lot over the last few weeks of his illness. I called him everyday to see how he was, ask about his day, how he was feeling and to share with him the events of my busy day. He and I both looked forward to those calls even though they got shorter and shorter as time went on as he got more and more weak. The last time I talked to him, the day before he died I told him I loved him and missed him and hoped he was not in too much pain. He mumbled something that I couldn't hear but I know he heard me. I hope he knew how much I loved him and how much he meant to me. 

The service was held at a beautiful old church in Downtown Oakville, where he got married for the second time almost 5 years ago. It was a really nice service and those who spoke captured his spirit perfectly. Seeing so many people there to pay respects and show support made me proud to be his granddaughter. I loved and will always love him so much and am so grateful for the time I got to spend with him when he was alive and for the generosity he bestowed upon me in our time together. Rest peacefully Grandad. 

William John "Jack" Morgan
April 11th 1929 - March 12th 2014 




1 comment: