Sunday 28 October 2012

Halloween Wemindji Style!

Halloween came early this year! For real!  Halloween has been moved from the 31st to the 30th by the town.  Now, this may seem crazy to you but let me explain... sorry I can't, it is just crazy. 

Well okay actually they moved Halloween (which has happened before) because there is a hockey tournament out of town on Wednesday and many of the kids would have missed Halloween if they left for the tournament.  Hockey is kind of a big deal around here so LOTS of kids play and probably half the town would be gone for this tourney, so it made sense to move it.  However, that means that the two PED days we had scheduled to avoid the mess of Halloween aftermath are pointless and we still have to wrangle kids on sugar highs but whatever!! It'll be a fun day of centres on Wednesday ahah!

Anyways, last night I went to the party of the year, the Annual Halloween "Zombies or Survivors" bash thrown by two die-hard Halloween enthusiasts Amy and Peter.  They went all out, creepy framed pictures on the wall, brain-inspired foods, awesome decoration and pretty cool costumes.  The theme was Zombies or Survivors, you had to pick if you were a zombie or a survivor (duh) and the results were pretty awesome.  I went as Zombie Where's Waldo.  Amazing if I do say so myself.  It almost didn't happen though!  I kinda dropped the ball this year on Halloween preparation, that and when you are packing for a place like this in the summer, Halloween gear isn't the easiest thing to find at the local Wal Mart.  So I ordered from an online party place last week, my costume arrived on Wednesday, just in time!!

Besides preparing for an awesome weekend, school has been going pretty well.  Stacy and I are working hard to meet the expectations of the GVC, my students are slowly improving in their reading and writing skills and math is going pretty well!  There is nothing more rewarding than testing the reading levels of your students and knowing where they were before and how far they have come.  It makes it worth it.  I hope to re-evaluate the PM Benchmarks soon (a reading comprehension assessment) and see the qualitative progress.  Even some of my "lower" kids have made great strides, so I can't wait to see how far everyone will have made it by the end of the year! 

Anyways I am exhausted and need to make my bed, do the dishes, clean my house, get ready for tomorrow, do my laundry, watch Sons of Anarchy... oh the list goes on!!

Love Aidan






 


 





 


 


 

 






 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment