Monday 8 October 2012

Birthday/Thanksgiving!

What a weekend!!

Friday it was my 25th birthday!  From the moment I woke up to the moment I fell into bed, I was spoiled!! Carmen organized a kick-ass birthday party at our friend Danielle's mansion and tons of my great new friends attended.  I was spoiled with gifts and well-wishes and the people I was with certainly made missing celebrating my birthday with my friends and family back home less sad, I was pleasantly distracted!!

My day at school was equally as special.  I had cards from nearly every student (some of them hilarious), students on their best behavior, and even a little party! And one of my students and his mother bought me a Halloween birthday cake!! I was so touched!! Being in this little community really makes you feel like part of one big happy family and I love it.  Being a million miles away from family and friends at special times of the year like this isn't so hard when you realize the new special friends and family you have right here. 

Last night Marsha and her family invited us for a fantastic turkey dinner.  Her kids are ADORABLE and we may have overexcited them just a little with sword fights and tickles.  It was so fun and really nice to be in a homey, family atmosphere.  Jeremy, Marsha's husband-extraordinaire procured us a Butterball turkey at a bargain (turkeys here ranged from $52-$71) so we single ladies without family here or men in our lives are having a little feast tonight.  Sometimes it pays to be desperately and depressingly single on a holiday................................ shh this is what I am telling myself.

So that is what I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.  For the new friends I have made and the home I have created in this little triplex.  I am so lucky to have people who care about me even though just a few weeks ago we were almost strangers!  I am so lucky to have such a fantastic, loving class who shares in my excitement about learning and sharing experiences together.  I am so lucky to have an amazing (I'll never stop saying it!!) teaching partner in Stacy who shares so many ideas and resources and time with me.  I am so lucky to have a set of neighbors who laugh with me, share their stuff with me, and listen to me complain non-stop.  That's what friends are for! 

So as I get ready for my second Thanksgiving dinner (hey when you miss the one at home, you have to make up for it somehow) I hope that everyone reading has a special Thanksgiving too and that you find something to be thankful for.

PS Baby Puppy was whisked away by dog-rescuers Mel and John to North Bay where she apparently started to die but is now all better!! Poor Baby Puppy, she is a feisty little runt.  Withdrawal from your Mummy-Love can be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment