Sunday 7 February 2016

Super (not bowl) Sunday!

Well, another couple of cold and windy weeks have passed in Great Wild Wemindji and I can report that I can now do the splits like a seasoned Olympic gymnast due to the icy conditions of my neighborhood.  Yes folks, I have done the splits basically twice now in a 24 hour period which has hurt me beyond belief but also inspired a new possible career once I am done with teaching!

Speaking of teaching, things are still going along swimmingly in the classroom.  The kids are gaining more confidence and independence as the days go by and they are working very hard on their skills.  I am really proud of how far they have come but I know they will be needing a real push soon and I am a little nervous.  I am happy that I have the creative support of my student teacher to man the ship while I attend to the little leaks here and there and together we are doing some awesome things in the classroom! We will miss her when she is gone that is for sure!

Last weekend was an impromptu teacher gathering to welcome back (briefly) Shelby who left at Christmas to go down south to work on the supply list.  We really have missed her so it was nice to see her for a short visit!  We played Minute-to-Win-It games and it was really nice to relax and have some fun with great people!

It was a short week at school with a PED Day on Friday.  Our PED Day consisted of a really useful workshop on non-physical intervention strategies to use in the classroom.  Since coming back to class in January the lower elementary sector has been experiencing high volume of out of control behavior and physical outbursts so this information session came at a really good time.  We learned some good strategies to de-escalate certain situations and overall I left the training feeling supported and with some new ideas. Last week was also Hundred's Day! Now, if you know me you know that I love to dress up and put on a show, and Hundred's Day was no exception!  I had a blast dressing up as a 100-year old lady this time and the kids and staff were tickled.  So much fun!

This weekend was not without its own fun as we celebrated Meredith's birthday with delicious sushi dinner! I love birthdays, especially when I directly benefit from them!  Afterwards was the much-anticipated Mardi Gras party facilitated by David, a coworker and friend, with the help of Seth/Chef and Monika.  I contributed a delicious "King Cake" complete with a hidden baby (don't ask) and David made some absolutely amazing gumbo.  It was a really awesome night with some great new people and old faces and a fun time!

Today I caught up on my lamination cutting, walked Bobo a little (its very cold for him right now so we manage several short walks a day rather than a couple "long" ones), prepared my student's Valentine's Day treat bags, cleaned up (although not much because I still don't have a vacuum cleaner or a mop) and caught up on my shows!  A great Sunday overall.

Anyways, this upcoming week should be fun, we have PM Benchmarking taking place (a reading assessment) which I will be training my student teacher on,  We also have Valentine's Day and swimming for the first time which will be fun/insanely stressful so thankfully it is taking place on a Friday!  Well, that's all for now, have a lovely week and a romantic Valentine's Day (I will be snuggling with the only male in my life right now - Bobo).























No comments:

Post a Comment