Sunday 15 March 2015

Sorta Spring!

Yay! The temperatures are slowly rising in good old Wemindji town and so are spirits! The sun was shining brightly today and with it came a warm breeze that began to melt the permafrost that covers Wemindji for 17 months of the year. Pavement is visible in patches and the thick sheet of ice and snow is slowly sliding off my roof, scaring the crap out of me with every thump as it lands on my deck below. 



Last week was nutso with the time change and busy weekend of tournaments and trips and coming off of a double PED so the kids were loopy and tired. Luckily Grade 1 managed to rock the socks off the kids with the magical "How to Catch a Leprechaun" unit which just about blew their minds. Never have I seen my class so intensely invested in a common goal before. We wrote about catching a leprechaun, designed and then built some surprisingly impressive traps on Friday. These traps included a lot of glitter which I know I will be dusting off classroom furniture for weeks to come. We had a lot of visitors Friday afternoon to witness the controlled sparkly chaos and to be honest it was tons of fun to just let the kids build for hours without interruption. They even vetoed precious recess to keep building! The best part was probably watching a couple of very realistic "caught on tape" YouTube videos of leprechaun-catching attempts which literally drove them bonkers. 










This week is CAT4 testing which is a standardized test the entire school is participating in. It's a little stressful for both students and teachers so we have come up with some super cute inscentives and of course it wouldn't be grade 1 if we didn't have a party to celebrate at the end!! Luckily we are also starting our rhyming/Dr. Seuss unit so our party will obviously serve green eggs and ham (pink pancakes, ham is expensive!!!).

Anyways this week is going to be a busy one but sure to be a lot of fun. I hope the weather will continue to get nicer as I'd like to take a trip to Radisson before Goosebreak! I'm also terrifed to drive my van anywhere outside of town now so we shall see. Ta ta for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment