Friday 9 January 2015

Back to the Grind

Well, I'm back! 

To be home in Wemindji is bittersweet. The nights leading up to and including my travel days I began to get misty eyed at the thought of leaving home in Oakville. I had a great time catching up with friends and visiting with family. Two weeks never seems long enough but I am happy to be back in my home, sleeping in my own bed and back into somewhat of a routine!

I was a little surprised at how much I missed the kids and I was happy to see them Tuesday morning. They seemed to be happy to be back at school and were very excited to tell me about all the things they got for Christmas (basically everyone got an iPad what the heck!) 

The drive back was ACCIDENT FREE. WHAT.  Yep. Accident free. Can you believe it?! I hardly can!!! I left later than planned Saturday morning (I accidentally slept in an hour and a half) after a nice Friday evening with my mom and family.  My mom and I spent the day shopping, hanging out, eating a delicious roast dinner, watching tv and packing up my car. I saw my Nana with my sisters which was really nice and even got to say a quick hello and goodbye to Katherine's family.

As for packing my van, I managed to fit my snowblower (which I found out weighs approximately 3000lbs), a mini fridge (not too mini, think of it more as a medium sized cold storage unit, a full-sized spare winter tire on a rim, 2 hamsters and their crap, all my luggage and dollarstore booty, a dog (Samantha's), a cooler, a fake Christmas tree, a Rubbermaid container full of mega blocks, my bench seat (yay!), all my Costco loot and a partridge in a pear tree.
 
So I drove off Saturday morning feeling a little nervous but overall confident! The weather had been forecast as quite snowy in an area I was driving into but I was prepared to take it slow and be cautious. I also bought new winter tires and got some amazing service at a local tire shop (see pic) as well as a brand new windsheild!!! On my way up in the summer I got twin stonechips from an oncoming vehicle on the JBHWY which then split right across my windsheild on a particularly frosty morning. I got a truly incredible deal on a full replacement and given typical driving conditions, I'm sure I will be back and until then I will wholeheartedly pimp these establishments! 

Anyways the drive was pretty good once I cleared the snowy parts of Ontario. The roads weren't too bad and were actively being maintained by fleets of plows. It was a slower drive than usual but slow and steady wins the race! After meeting up with my friend and coworker Meredith in North Bay, we convoyed together to Amos which was pretty nice! We left Amos not-so-bright but definitely early and after a blissfully uneventful drive I made it through my front door at 4:30pm! Joy!!  I spent that night freezing my buns off as I unpacked my van and got settled. 

This week was uneventful and went by at a usual week's pace. I'm looking forward to locking myself in the classroom tomorrow and taking care of a lot of business. My classroom is so cluttered and full of so much junk, I really want to purge, clean and reorganize - oh and plan of course. 

Other than that, this weekend I am going to clean my whole dusty gross house and test out the new snowblower (with the helpful guidance of a fellow teacher) oh, and SLEEEEEEEEP!

Ta ta for now!

It's pretty cold in my house. 


I miss this lover boy. 

I. Just. Miss. Him. So. Much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment