Monday 1 September 2014

Wicked Weekend!

If you are a teacher (or any normal person for that matter) you gotta love a long weekend.  And not just a "teacher" long weekend either (shortened week due to PED Day).  I am talking an extra day of weekend just. for. me. 

These types of long weekends are glorious.  Usually there is something special planned to make the most of the magical extra day and for this weekend, there was no exception.  Let me explain why I deserved this long weekend.  Last Friday was a day.  Just, a day.  Week 2 of Grade 1 proved itself to be, if possible, even more insane than Week 1.  So I was just EXHAUSTED.  Mentally and physically drained and at my max.  I was living for the weekend.  We had a week of really fun activities, lots of fun stuff but still working hard on routine and establishing classroom management was really draining me.  That mixed with a lot of outside school drama, and I was feeling it.  The bell rang on Friday afternoon and I PEACED OUT.  I ran home and quickly got changed into my standard after-work apparel, comfy pjs.  I hazily remember wandering around the house doing pretty much nothing.  Probably moving a piece of paper from one side of a desk to the other.  Straightening a picture frame here, wiping a dust speck there.  Basically too exhausted to live.  Oh but I did manage to do some early Christmas shopping and a little for myself too.

Saturday was a pretty fun day.  I went into the classroom and reorganized my library.  I love that my kids love to "read" but they haven't quite mastered the art of putting the books back into the bins from which they came.  So my library was a DISASTER after 2 weeks of this business.  I removed some book bins to keep the chaos to a minimum but still left a wide variety of materials to choose from.  This week I will work on a system with the kids for returning books where they found them.  I planned a little and then went home to get ready to attend the MES Graduation ceremonies at the arena.  It was a great night with I think 11 grads and 10 students who completed the WOTP program (like co-op or work placement).  Staff and students were incredibly proud and our graduation rates are going up which is a true indication of the hard work the kids and teachers are putting in.  Dinner was delicious turkey and/or roast beef and Cree cake for dessert. Yummy.

Sunday was the best day!  The Staff Involvement Committee had organized a boat trip to one of the nearby islands for the day.  It was incredibly gorgeous weather, perfect for a boat ride and relaxing fun times on the beach of Walrus Island.  Close to 30 staff and family members attended, roasted hotdogs and smores, explored the island and relaxed.  Very little talk of school was had and it was all around a really nice way to spend a Sunday before the weather turns cooler! I of course, got a pretty epic face sunburn but at least I will have some extended colour into the "fall" months here.  We got home around 4 and I was EXHAUSTED.  Boy, sitting on the rocks and doing nothing can really tire you out.  So I watched some shows, cut out some lamination and went to bed.

Today was my extra day off!  I did some much needed housework and went into school of course to prep and get some work done.  Since Grade 1 has been sucking the life out of me, I had badly neglected my house.  The dust bunnies were procreating.  It was a mess.  I did a deep scrub and really made myself feel better about the whole thing.  I have probably the best day ever (Day 5) tomorrow which means I have 3 whole spares (as opposed to one 50 minute spare/prep period daily)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am pretty excited as it is a great way to start an already awesome 4-day week. 

Anyways, I am going to get some good sleep tonight because even though I only have my darling students for 3 periods tomorrow, if the past is any indication of the future, then chances are I will still be dead around 3:40pm tomorrow afternoon.






















No comments:

Post a Comment