Sunday 15 June 2014

12 Days and COUNTING! (But who's counting...)

The countdown is on!  This time in two weeks I will be sitting on my back porch in Oakville, summery drink in hand, cuddling my darling Bobo and soaking up the rays - enjoying the beginning of my much-deserved summer vacation!

Hopefully the trip home will be uneventful and quick.  We have the long hours of daylight on our side for this drive so while we have to wait until the final bell at 3:40pm to leave Wemindji, we won't be racing the sunset for optimal driving conditions.  Summer is really the best time of year to drive obviously, no ice, snow, dumb caribou or eternal darkness.  Bugs however, are another hazard altogether.  This is my first drive down in the summer with my WHITE van, so based on what my green car looked like last year covered in dead bugs the size of chipmunks, I can only imagine it will be a bloodbath against the clean white paint of my car.  I vividly remember hitting a giant dragonfly last year and it getting stuck in my windshield wipers.  I swear I locked eyes with that beast and it stared at me for at least 45 minutes until I finally got it unstuck.  Anyways, I have hours of Jim Harold's Campfire podcasts uploaded and ready to go and some good tunes to keep me company and a great convoy consisting of MARSHA BROWN, Carmen, Monika, Raquel and Meredith! We will be staying at the Amosphere (of course) but will be too late for dinner at Mike's :(

Anywho last week was crazy busy with the wrapping up of standardized Cree School Board testing and some other math testing.  The kids were visibly DONE with exams and they have been pushed to the max.  I am really glad that is all completed successfully and now we can finish the last few days of school with lots of really fun activities!  This week is PACKED with cool stuff, visiting artists will be coming to the school and to our class on Wednesday to do some great activities, Sports Day on Tuesday, swimming on Friday and a pizza party on Thursday! My class won the School Spirit year-long contest for best school spirit (participation in themed spirit days) and we got the party!! The kids were not totally overwhelmed at first but once I told them there would also be cupcakes they lost their minds.  So mission accomplished I guess ha!  The party will celebrate a few different events I have decided.  Our class read 100 books in a couple of months which we kept track of on a chart, and we have to celebrate all the summer birthdays so I felt this was the perfect opportunity to have a super party!

In my spare time I have been slowly packing up my classroom so it isn't such an overwhelming task at the end of next week.  I have a lot of work to do at home with getting stuff ready for going home as well as getting the place prepared for getting my floors redone.  How I am going to fit all my stuff in both bedrooms and living room in my kitchen I have no idea.  I will have to use my fine Tetris skills for that one.

Last week we also experienced some extreme weather which just tickled me like no other.  First, we had a legitimate heatwave.  Temperatures soared to almost 30 degrees and it was SWELTERING.  It was so hot, so I kept all my windows open.  Unbeknownst to me there was some tree near my house that was in its most active stage of pollination and I came home to a thick coat of yellow pollen on EVERY SURFACE.  It was disgusting.  You could write your name on the counter tops it was so thick.  It immediately coated my throat and filled my lungs and I almost died.  Then, it got cold.  REALLY cold.  Like -4 in the evening cold.  And rainy.  So there was that.

Yesterday was the luau-themed goodbye party for departing teachers Carmen, Vincent and Marion.  All are going to greener pastures and Marsha threw them a pretty epic send off!! I will miss everyone and it won't be the same without Carmen, one third of the original Triplex girls! Carmen and I met on our interview and we have been pretty inseparable ever since, so it will be a different year next year!  Luckily Monika decided to stay on another year so I won't be completely alone. Unless she dumps me.  :P











Luau decor!

POLLEN FOOTPRINTS.
A canoe that magically appeared in my backyard Friday night...


Beautiful sunset!


My countdown as of a few minutes ago!





No comments:

Post a Comment