Tuesday 25 February 2014

Because I know you care...

Finally. Finally I have been diagnosed. If you have been following my journey through the land of poor health and pain in the recent weeks, you will know that I have gone through a number of diagnoses (real and imagined) as well as deep levels of pain. But finally, I have been properly diagnosed by a professional and am on the road to recovery!

There is a catch however. No longer can I go around telling people when they ask me what the heck is wrong with me that I hurt this nerve or did this to my hip. Oh no. No. For you see I have damaged and enflamed my sacral joint. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I have broken...(dramatic pause)...my ass. 


Laugh it up! This kind of thing only happens to me as we now by now so are you really surprised? Shall I list some of the things that have happened to me that could really only occur in a movie about a girl with exceptionally bad luck who happens to be redeemed when she meets the love of her life in a remote northern community? (Okay so I'm mixing fiction and reality here...)

- I slipped and fell on a banana peel in front of busy Toronto traffic once
- I am allergic to cockroaches
- I have a weird rash/large hard tube under my skin on my arm
- Got shingles on my chesticle 
- My 1 hamster turned into 9, 2 freaky blind ones, one tried swimming without having learned to swim yet, 1 classroom pet dead. 
- My cat committed suicide 
- I had to shave my dogs butt last night 

I'll stop there and let that percolate with you. 

Needless to say I have decided I am a bad luck magnet and one day I hope my luck will turn around and I'll find my true love in the north and I can look at banana peels without fear and trepidation. 

Back to my broken butt. I was extremely lucky to be at the clinic after-hours at the same time as the town physiotherapist last Friday and she saw me immediately. She performed a thorough exam and figured out the cause of all my pain. I was overjoyed at her ability to do so and she began physiotherapy right away. I have been following her directions and taking her advice and have seen a remarkable improvement in my pain and mobility. I am no longer on crutches or a cane and sleeping better at night. Ice has become my best friend and I only walk with a slight limp now! Squeezing in physiotherapy during clinic hours isn't easy and my principal has been very accommodating and I am truly appreciative. Luckily I am missing no teaching time and am being seen multiple times a week! Thank goodness for people who know what they are doing because I was ready to go all pirate on this leg and have a stick prosthetic for the rest of my life. 


Just thought I'd fill you in!

On another note, I received a glorious care package from my wonderful BFF Katherine today. I totally forgot it was coming in the mail and it was such a lovely surprise. A real pick-me-up after several weeks of stress and discomfort. She knows me so well and packed the box full of goodies and things that totally put me in a good mood!


This weekend was also pretty nice, I stayed in and rested my weary behind, got lots of work done at school and saw a great live performance by the great Wemindji local garage band "Tuesday Barbecue" at a benefit for the 'MES Goes to Nicaragua' trip. It was an awesome night with seriously awesome music. 


This weekend I have reserved for cleaning my house, doing my taxes and starting and finishing 2 class sets of report cards (since my teaching partner is on medical leave). It will be busy but I plan on taking all of these tasks on in full PJ and hot chocolate mode which makes it a little more bearable.  

Well that's all I can really manage for now, slumber beckons and I've got a busy day of testing, grammar, assemblies and cupcakes (do I give them cupcakes before they go to Gym or before the assembly....)









No comments:

Post a Comment