Monday 2 September 2013

TRIBES and Adventure

I think I have managed to squeeze more Wemindji adventure into the span of 5 days than I did in the entire year I spend here last year.  Since two lovely TRIBES trainers arrived last week to train the staff, Monika and I have tried our best to expose these ladies to the best that Wemindji has to offer!  It has been an amazing week and weekend and I am so glad to have been able to provide some visitors with a true taste of Wemindji life and all the beauty that surrounds us.

Between wild blueberry picking, hikes, delicious dinners and fantastic conversations, campfires, boat trips and walking-out ceremonies, it has been a busy few days!  Luckily, the TRIBES training took place during a set of 3 PED days so there was no teaching, just great training modules and time to spend getting to know my colleagues on a deeper level and gain some (more) great TRIBES-infused teaching ideas for the future.  I know that my colleagues got the most out of this community-building training and you could see the wheels turning as we were given skills, tools and ideas to bring our students closer together and facilitate meaningful learning experiences within the classroom.

After training, the evenings and afternoons were packed full with mini adventures and lots of fun!  The TRIBES trainers arrived on Tuesday which was an epic adventure in itself!  Wemindji experienced a town-wide power out which lasted about 9 hours.  Can you IMAGINE the thoughts that were running through my head for those 9 hours? First of all, the meat man had just made his first visit of the school year so my freezer (which is about the size of a double wide coffin) was PACKED.  Immediately I was thinking, "How am I going to salvage this meat and all my loaves of bread (don't ask)?" As an ever-prepared kind of person with a meat for every occasion, I realized I'd probably have to BBQ it all up and essentially feed the town (seeing as that is how much stuff I have in my deep freeze).  THEN my thoughts turned to welcoming these wonderful trainers to a town that had no power!  First impressions!!! Ahh!! Monika and I quickly made do and whipped up a BBQ meal that turned out almost better than the original plan, (except for the charcoal-blackened potatoes.. I need to work on my BBQmanship skills apparently). Stuffed BBQ porkloin by candlelight was a great way to end what was otherwise a kinda stressful day.  When the power eventually did turn back on we cheered and the anticipation of another Wemindji-style apocalypse immediately left my mind. 

TRIBES training began the next day and the staff was pumped.  It was a beautiful day so after training Monika, Marsha and her lovely family and I all went blueberry picking and then for a hot dogs over an open flame dinner.  We were joined by a couple of beautiful foxes which really solidified the outdoorsy experience.  I can now add those two foxes to the list of 2 other animals I have seen while living in the deep north.  I am beginning to think I am wildlife cyptonite.... :|

The rest of the week was busy and exciting.  Staff here has been really welcoming and honestly, who doesn't love a dinner guest that has not yet heard all your funny stories!  A new captive audience yay!  On Saturday, a generous resident lent us the use of his boat and Stacy's FANTASTIC husband Captain Daren took us out on the bay and around countless gorgeous islands for over an hour.  It was truly breathtaking.  You could have been in Ireland, Iceland, anywhere - the landscape was so beautiful and pristine.  It was a little cold (okay I wore gloves, a scarf and my winter jacket) but the experience was priceless.  I think the ladies were truly in awe of the beauty of the north!

Yesterday Monika, Brandi, Stacy and I took the trainers to see the infamous Penis Tree (see picture).  This is the one thing you MUST see when you come to Wemindji.  I am thinking tourism should really start to market this attraction.  It was a hit and we had a blast. 

Tonight is the trainer's last night in Wemindji and I am going to cook my first whole chicken!  I am terrified to have to stick my hand up a chicken's butt but they say there is a first for everything!

A little bat friend!

One day.. never again.


Foxes!!


Ugh. The norm.

Wild blueberries!

Frozen and ready for baking!

Walking out ceremony! So sweet!

Making meatballs.

TRIBES trainers Marylin and Wendy - amazing, dynamic and inspiring educators.

Monika ready for certain death with a smile.




August 31st - Winter jacket.


It reads: "2 women that came with Monika and Aidan" - it is tradition that people who witness the Walking Out Ceremony take part in or receive a portion of the feast that follows.  We didn't know that and left the ceremony when we thought it was over.  That evening the family came and found me and delivered our share of the feast!  I was SO touched that a) they knew who we were, and b) that they carried on tradition and served us our meals!

Sigabon (roasted goose), mac salad, fried rice, veggies and mashed potatoes.  Divine!

YIKES.


Wild rapsberries!

My haul.

The Penis Tree!!

LOL

Beautiful Wemindji


No comments:

Post a Comment