Tuesday 10 September 2013

Catchy Title Goes Here

Well, time flies when there is nothing to do but work!  I can't lie though, I have definitely spent 1/4 of the hours in the classroom this year so far as compared to the amount of time I spent in the classroom last year.  Last year I was a first year teacher with a challenging class.  I was working hard to find my groove as well as discover ways to keep my class in line, interested and out of each other's faces for the better part of the day.  Looking back now I am not sure I could call myself successful, but I can at least say my first year was a success.  I SURVIVED.  That is about as "successful" as I could get.  Don't get me wrong, I loved each and every one of my students in their own ways.  They each taught me something valuable about teaching, learning and living.  I took so much more away from that class in life lessons than I am sure I departed on them, but in the end we all survived and I feel like I could tackle anything now. 

Teaching Grade 2 for the second time around has definitely lightened the work load as well.  While I am not necessarily using the same ideas and lessons verbatim, I am finding ways to improve upon and evolve my old ideas and activities to better suit my new class and teach concepts in a more hands-on way.  These kids are far more used to the use of manipulatives and explaining their reasoning and though processes.  They are a very articulate bunch who don't get shy at explaining their great ideas or contributing meaningfully to classroom discussions.  We share a lot at circle time and I feel like we have built a really trusting, loving and caring classroom community.  All the kids are willing and able to help one another which is a fantastic and heart-warming sight to see.  They take pride in their work and work hard too.  I am really able to take a step back and allow them to take more leadership in the classroom and more ownership of their learning.

Since these students are an independent group, I am able to take more time to facilitate meaningful learning opportunities and careful observation.  Asking deep and open-ended questions reveals so much about they way these kids learn and how to best address their needs.  I can't wait for more independent skills to start to sharpen and what creativity will flow out of my door!

On a side note, my favorite Wemindji sports and recreation employee has returned to Wemindji to facilitate the Sports Academy program.  Sam and her boyfriend Joel are back in town and it is great to see her and I can't wait to spend some of the long, cold winter nights laughing it up! 

I also wanted to report on something you may have heard about recently on such reputable news sources as CBC and MSN.com.  The Wemindji Sasquatch.  Yes, you read that right.  Dozens of sightings have been reported in the past and recently, a large set of footprints was discovered in the bush in Wemindji.  This sent the community into a tailspin of drama and fear/hilarity.  The town seems pretty set on the existence of a Sasquatch and people began retelling old stories of a Sasquatch (and more recently, his family) traipsing around the Wemindji wilderness, living in peace alongside the residents.  Google "Wemindji Sasquatch" and you'll find roughly 2200 results! Incredible.  Needless to say I was a little worried when I went to go blueberry picking a couple of times, scared I would find myself face to face with the hairy beast.  Maybe what broke into my house to eat my Cheerios those many months ago wasn't a crafty squirrel after all...


World-renowned shot of a local's foot inside the infamous Wemindji Sasquatch print

I happened to find Sasquatch's summer wear on a hike the other day

A chicken I cooked!! Wow!

Thank you to Carmen for feeding my addition to Fruit Punch MIO

My car this morning...

Great.

Waiting for the defrost!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment