Wednesday 24 July 2013

New Car!

Well, the day has finally arrived and I am a new car owner!  I decided to bite the bullet and shell out (aka go into more debt) for a brand new Dodge Grand Caravan.  Yes, I am the proud owner of a... minivan.  Not quite the dude-magnet car I had always thought I would own but hey!  I shopped around for some time (as you know) and settled on my beautiful white van with optimal storage capacity, back row Stow-N-Go, removable middle bench and *gasp* POWER LOCKS AND WINDOWS! Not that these particular perks are a must but after years of having to remind my passengers to push down the lock to secure my vehicle, being able to "beep beep" my locks into place is quite a novelty!  Not quite a novelty however is filling up the gas tank.  I actually cried a little as my hand started to cramp from holding the gas nozzle for so long. 

Now, I have received a lot of teasing about my choice of ride, particularly about the fact that most single females don't opt for such an obvious family vehicle, but I am all about function and practicality baby.  This van will allow me to take as much stuff up with me to Wemindji as I can fit and not have to rely on the sometimes iffy Canada Post service for shipping my goods.  For this, I am happy.  This car is also brand-spankin' new so I hope that I will get to spend some time with it before major repair costs come into play.  This van is comfy, safe and came with the Quebec legally-required winter tires!  What more could a girl ask for. 

Anyways, other than that milestone I have had - as usual - a pretty busy week.  I visited Dollarama today with Monika where we stocked up on "prizes" aka bribes for good behaviour, odds and ends and supplies you can't get up north (who am I kidding, that's everything).

I have visited IKEA twice since getting my van last Friday and made use of my optimal cargo storage as well grabbed a few things from my storage locker to bring back with me (mainly unread books and decor. Now that I have a bigger home I need to fill it obviously).

The last stop on my shopping list is Costco and I may wait until the last minute to do that since I need to buy some fresh stuff and want it to last.  I am trying hard to stick to my budget but I am notoriously bad with money (hence working in the North to pay the bills!) and it has been difficult!!  Perhaps knowing that I won't be able to shop for 4.5 months inspires the shopaholic deep within.

On Friday after picking up the new wheels Carmen and I set into motion the surprise birthday plans that had been in the works for Monika's birthday!  We had been so sneaky with Monika's best friend and sister for WEEKS, it was killing me to not spill the beans accidentally.  We shopped at IKEA, went to dinner at The Three Brewers where Monika's friend and sister arrived to surprise Monika!  Then we took Monika to a Jay's game (I drove in that crazy rainstorm, and EVEN BACKED INTO AN UNDERGROUND PARKING SPACE - I know, insane) where we sat and judged the baseball players based on looks.  Okay, maybe I was the only one doing that since I had no idea what was going on, but it was fun nonetheless!

Since then I have been bowling with old friends, lunching, brunching and breakfasting, all while trying to squeeze in a nap here and there (nap count on vacation: 1)

Another exciting piece of news:  I have been honored with the position of Maid of Honor at my dear friend Katherine's upcoming nuptials! I knew I was going to be a bridesmaid but was totally surprised at being asked to be M.O.H at the engagement party last weekend!! Totally touched and very excited.  I can't wait to start planning all the fun events and being helpful to my friend as she plans her big day!

Anyways, I hate to say it but the countdown is back on, I will be returning to Wemindji on August 10th so it is social, family and shopping crunch time.  Still, I have a couple more weeks to enjoy this lovely (read: awful hot) weather with friends and family, I am a lucky girl!


My baby.

Game!  Sitting so close to the... goal net?  HA

Co-conspirators Sandra and Raquel - guess which one is related to Monika

Apparently I need to do some sun work on my face...

What is going on? No idea?

Juuuust take pictures to fill the time!

Buns!

I cannot turn this pic around!! Ah!! Delicious cake.

The happy couple Katherine and Mike

EEEE!

Ultimate seating capacity.

So pretty. 

Oh by the way, CONGRATULATIONS ROYAL COUPLE.  I lost all the bets on name, weight and gender but I am still overjoyed at the royal birth.

Obligatory Bobo picture.

Pooped after a long day of barking AT EVERYTHING.

Bowling! Where I lost every single game, bruised my hand and finger, chipped or broke each finger nail, pulled a muscle in both my neck AND butt.  So.. much.. fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment