Wednesday 16 January 2013

COLD.

This is going to be a short one because I need to conserve the body heat used in typing.

RIGHT NOW IT IS -50 (with windchill).  Never did I think I would be used to being outside in -30 temperatures but the body becomes acclimatized pretty fast I find, so unless its really windy or snowy, I can deal with it.  I have good outerwear and try and stay bundled up.  HOWEVER. With tonight and tomorrow's expected temperatures of -50 degrees with wind (which is severe might I add), it is hard not to complain!




No words.

For those of you wondering, NO school is not cancelled tomorrow, just recess.  So, you know, deal with it. Can blood freeze in your veins while you are still alive? Just wondering. Bush Camp on the other hand was cancelled briefly but LUCKILY administration and I came up with an alternative for the kids so they can do some fun things with the Cree teacher and supply while I get to keep my precious, precious planning day. Yay!

Also, since it is so cold, shovelling has become near impossible.  The snow has frozen solid in some places and there is a permafrost layer underneath any new fluffy stuff which arrives hourly.  SOOO yesterday I came home to find that the sidewalk plow had come down in front of my house and snowed me in on not one, but two sections of my driveway on either side of the sidewalk! GREAT! So I spent about half an hour lifting heavy snow boulders and depositing them on either side of my car.  Also, it is so cold right now that my block heater plug has frozen into my extension cord attached to my house.  I can unplug directly from the house but not directly from my car.  This I discovered on Monday night as I tried to leave.  So, I rolled down my window, gathered all 20 feet of extension cord, threw it through my window on the the passenger side and hoped for the best! I had to do the same again this afternoon.  Twice. So I am going to try the "unplug from all sources of electricity and pour hot water on the plug to get it loose" idea tomorrow.  If I don't blog again it is because I failed and electrocuted myself.



Carmen decided that she was no fool and would not shovel like a dumb dumb that I am and called our friendly neighborhood plow guy (think: Homer Simpson, Mr. Plow) to rescue us! He arrived and again, saved us from having to dig out again and we now have a nice base of permafrost to manage with.  Soooo grateful!! This time I offered him freshly baked chocolate chip cookies as a thank you, I think he was pleased!

Rescued!
I also did a little research and it turns out we are colder than the North Pole right now (wiki answers, so not a credible source but it just made me feel justified in my complaining).  Imagine the look on my face. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_cold_can_the_North_Pole_get

Wish me luck as I brave the cold tomorrow - AHH!



No comments:

Post a Comment