Sunday 13 January 2013

Bush Camp

Holla!

This week is an awesome week.  Not only does the 6-day Cycle work completely in my favor (optimal spread of prep periods), but my class is also scheduled for Bush Camp! This means that my kids will head out into the bush with the Cree Culture teachers and hopefully learn some traditional skills and history.  Now, most of you might say, "Why, Aidan, don't you go with your class to bush camp and participate in the wonderful winter activities?" I'll tell you why.  Because I ain't sitting outside in -20 temperatures (without the windchill factor) while my students kill squirrels and birds (these are the tales they come back to regale me with!!).  I'd rather sip hot chocolate in the comfort of my classroom, student-less while I plan and prepare for the weeks to come.  Can I get an amen??

Anyways, this weekend Carmen and I showed Monika around the little town of Radisson as we made the trek out on a positively balmy day in Northern Quebec! (0 degrees!) The drive was beautiful as all the fir trees were covered in a fresh layer of snow and the access road was really nice to drive as there was no gravel, only densely packed snow. 

The drive did take a little longer to ensure a safe journey, you never know when you might hit ice and spin out so Carmen was extra careful.  However, Carmen did *ahem* hit a snow bank earlier this week and crack a protective barrier on the undercarriage of her car which started to drag on the James Bay Highway which was cause for some concern but also inspired a roadside photo op!! We pulled over to investigate and decided to keep going to Radisson where hopefully someone could fix it!



Werk it!
Guess what! A nice gentleman at what we had to assume was the mechanic in town (it said Rona on the sign but also had a gas station...) lifted Carmen's mini tank with a FORKLIFT and zip-tied the barrier back to her car! Zip ties are Northern Quebec's answer to duct tape I truly believe.


Monika kindly clearing the snow from the forklift.
Those are some expensive Baby Bells...


Anyways, after the mandatory brunch of eggs benedict, we all went to visit the - you guessed it - Native craft store and grocery store!! I actually realized there are more stores there so next time I drive out I will definitely check them out.



The drive back was just a little bit scary as major snow started to fall and to be honest, I don't think the drivers of big trucks and SUVs can tell the difference between Carmen's VW Bug and the Bug-sized snowflakes that were falling so there were some tight squeezes! 

Anyways, along with a small birthday celebration for Marsha's 29th, it a great weekend! Tata for now :)

Terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment