Monday 17 December 2012

Christmas in Wemindji!

Well, my last week here before coming home for a nice 2 week Christmas break is already in full swing! Today was a half-day since the school held its annual Christmas Tea where family members bring in baked goodies and the teachers served tea, coffee and the goods to a packed gym of people.  It was quite a hectic afternoon but turned out pretty nice and the families brought in all kinds of great treats to share! A success!

Tonight was the first half of the Christmas concert as well where the Grade 3-6 classes performed.  The kids were pretty awesome and you could see the hard work that went into the performances (especially Gangnam Style at the end, hilarious!).

Tomorrow  night is the primary grades' turn with the Pre-K's all the way up to us in Grade 2 performing.  Pictures will follow! We will be singing Jingle Bells and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  Who thought I'd ever be standing in front of 30-8 year olds "conducting", certainly not me!

After the concert, the Wemindji Christmas light contest began and locals really made some awesome submissions!! Carmen, Monika and I drove around to see all the houses, ever cool! (LOL)

This weekend my cycle had our Christmas dinner/gift exchange (a cycle is the grouping of grades you teach in, I am Cycle 1 Year 2... so Grade 2.... Don't ask.).  I was spoiled by Marsha, Carmen and Stacy with some truly thoughtful and generous gifts!! After the cycle dinner we went to play lazer tag with a bunch of other teachers in the school!!! It was hilarious! The set was brought up by a educational support group called Elephant Thoughts (they do science and math support and activities in northern communities I think) and it was sooo fun!!

On another note, today the weather decided to lighten up, about -7, balmy I'd say!!

Anyways when I get the pictures of the cycle dinner I will post.  Until then, enjoy these ones!! 3 DAYS TILL HOME!!

Love Aidan

All lazer tag photos: Shelby!

Charlie's...Angel?





It was too much.

My little baby!

Santa wrote back!!

Snow eeeeeeverywhere!

Can you guess where I stand at recess??

Marsha's festive Christmas Tree!

Cycle One.  I look demonic.

SUPER CUTE MEASURING CUPS!! Thanks Carmen!

Recess and the "ice rink"






















My favorite


No comments:

Post a Comment