Tuesday 5 March 2013

Report cards

It's report card time and I am - lets say - a little behind in organizing my marks.

Not to say I am behind in marking that is! But taking averages and figuring out what I want to use is taking more time than I had anticipated!

They are due on Friday and I predict a late night on Thursday, probably holed up in Carmen's classroom with snacks and hot chocolate, trying to re-navigate a notoriously testy system!

On another note, Carmen and I (only after sending a particular gentleman approximately 14653 emails) finally booked our English Language Proficiency exams that are needed so we can become officially qualified Quebec teachers! We are booked for 8:30am in Rouyan which is a CITY about 9 hours from here. I am very excited for a number of reasons! We scheduled the test and trip around 2 PED days so while we lose the pay for those days, we only miss one teaching day on the Thursday so that's pretty great. We also get to get some maintenance done on our cars which is awesome. Carmen gets her puppy vaccinated and her first visit to the vet, we get to celebrate Carmen's 25TTTHHHHHHH birthday in STYLE aaaaaand SHOPPING! It's going to be a great few days and best of all (if we pass that is) we will come out qualified and our jobs secure for next year!

Also, I have been asked my Karen my old next door neighbor, to join her in planning and organizing a self-esteem promoting girls-only weekend workshop for girls on grades 4-6. We are starting small with 12 girls but we hope the program will grow with popularity in the coming months! We have been approved for a nice budget and based on our planned activities such as arts and crafts, TRIBES self-esteem and community building activities, Viking (edit: LOL to anyone who caught this, I typed this whole blog on my iPhone, autocorrect!!) , yoga and meditation, gymnastics, swimming, nature hikes and outdoor art and much more, we think these girls are going to have a great opportunity to feel good about themselves, stay out of trouble and learn to appreciate friendship and cooperation. The program starts this Saturday and will run 10-4 for 4 Saturdays. Hopefully it's a good turn out for the 4 weeks and we will run the program again until the summer breaks, then next year too!

This weekend I also went to watch the Snowshoe Walking Out Ceremony which is where the children take their first ceremonial steps on snowshoes! It was really nice to see the members of the community dressed in traditional clothing and beautiful hand made snowshoes and the kids looked so cute! They had to walk towards the east in a circle on untouched snow. Afterwards the kids and their families who walked with them shook everyone's hand in a line and share the contents of their hunting bags. 2 dead beavers were strung together and dragged by one of the kids which was a little gross but there was cultural significance so I let it slide haha. A student of mine participated and shared his bannock with me, it was awesome!

Anyways, the countdown to Goose Break is on, less than 8 weeks!!!! I can't wait to see everyone :)

Love Aidan

My attempt at Pinata cookies. I don't want to talk about it.



However, my mini loaf pans work quite well, EVER CUTE!





Human Centipede Beavers.





No comments:

Post a Comment